TEN FACTS ABOUT 2014
1. 2014 sees the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, or Great War. Official commemorations will be held in many countries.
2. In Wales, the centenary of the birth of the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas [27th October 1914 - 9th November 1953] will be celebrated.
|Statue of Dylan Thomas|
in his hometown of Swansea
3. On 1st January 2014 Latvia adopted the euro and became the 18th eurozone country.
4. The Winter Olympics will be held in Sochi, Russia from 7th - 23rd February 2014.
5. The FIFA World Cup will be held from 12th June - 13th July 2014 in Brazil.
6. The Commonwealth Games will be held in Glasgow, Scotland from 23rd July - 3rd August 2014. This will be the largest multi-sport event ever held in Scotland.
7. On 18th September 2014 a referendum on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom will be held in Scotland.
8. The United Nations has designated 2014 as the International Year of Family Farming and of Crystallography.
9. The 25th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall  is on 9th November 2014.
10. The 300th anniversary of the accession of the House of Hanover to the British throne is on 1st August 2014.
|King George III of the United Kingdom|
by Allan Ramsay